Saturday, September 29, 2007

Tags, Girl Germs & Random Thoughts...

I'm somewhat giddy, as I've been tagged (in my blogger infancy), by the funniest woman this side of a rye and pastrami (that's fake pastrami for all you vegetarians out there)--Sarah (that's her middle name folks) Hornik...of course in usual "Elaine"-style she practically knocked me over! Anyway, the retired high-heeled shoe aficionado thinks it's funny for an over fitty year old to try and link this to that and plink this to plop...i will stumble forward queen of lyzards!

Okay, what's next? eight random meanderings about meself? easy...

1. I had a crush on my fifth grade teacher and put one of the class project white rats on her shoulder while she was explaining details of the project to the class. The scream expelled from her lungs through her lips was something to behold! Hours of sitting in the Principal's office didn't diminish my infatuation...

2. My father was an intense fellow (he played juniour hockey in Canada, boxed, and ran around a soccer field in little shorts--a bit of a brawler), and didn't allow any foolishness from my older brother or myself. When my older brother was given his first bike, my father admonished us to never give bucks or be bucked--he was quite firm on this! At the first opportunity I asked my brother for a buck, and of course he complied...the mirthful proceedings came to an abrupt halt, when I somehow got my leg entangled in the wheel spokes. To my brother's credit, he didn't keep pedaling...the break was only a green-stick.

3. Once while our family was returning to Minneapolis from visiting relatives in Winnipeg, Manitoba (I was probably about eight or nine)--my brother and I were sitting next to our father in the front seat of our old Chevy--my father decided that I was being too silly...stopped the car in the grassy part in the middle of the highway, and made me get out, "You can walk home..." As I stood in the middle of the highway and watched my family drive away, I began walking in the same direction...

4. I've read the Gulag Archipelago, War and Peace, and the Brothers Karamazov...all I remember is something about keeping your nose above water?

5. My wife remembers me from a speech-making class at Rosemount High School...I did a presentation on in-grown toe-nails with big posters of toes (all ethnic personalities accounted for), showing the procedure for cutting the in-grown part out.

6. I worked part-time as a pizza delivery man for five years...gaining ten pounds each year. Many mad-cap adventures, hi-jinx galore, and hair-brained schemes ensued--but that's for a different blog.

7. My grandfather emigrated to Canada from Germany when he was twenty five, and worked for years at the small town high school in Saskatchewan as the janitor/custodian. When they built a new high school they named it after him.

8. I can't wear watches, or even put them in my pocket--they will stop and can't be repaired! Eventually the cars I drive begin to have strange electrical maladies, and computers tend to eye me apprehensively.

Well Sarah? are you happy?

...that's all folks...

1 comment:

StudioCherie said...

You had me at Rye and Pastrami...